It is generally believed that the addition of cod liver oil to the child should start from the neonatal period, that is, 3-4 weeks after birth, the baby should be given concentrated cod liver oil, one drop a day at the beginning, gradually increasing, but no more than 5 drops.
For premature babies, twin fetuses and newborns suffering from digestive tract diseases, cod liver oil should be added from the second week after birth, no more than 5-7 drops per day, and 3-5 drops per day after one month.
Pediatric experts recommend taking cod liver oil until the baby is three years old. After three years of age, the baby’s nutrition can be supplemented by other means, without relying on cod liver oil or other nutritional supplements.
When should baby be fed cod liver oil daily
It is best for babies to eat cod liver oil about half an hour after eating milk in the morning. If your baby doesn’t have obvious calcium deficiency, your baby doesn’t need to eat it for a long time. Avoid taking it with milk.
How to feed baby cod liver oil
Mothers can follow 1-3 months baby 1-2 ml per day; 3-6 months baby 2-2.5 ml per day; 6 months to 1 year old 2.5-5 ml per day; children over 1 year old 5 ml per day.
But mothers still have to master a principle in the end-the daily vitamin D intake of a baby must not exceed 400 international units. If it exceeds 400 international units / day, the baby will be poisoned if they continue consumption for one month!
Cod liver oil cannot be supplemented every day, because the baby’s daily breastmilk diet contains a certain unit of vitamin A and vitamin D. Basically consume the supplement for two months and stop for half a month before continuing, it will be healthier.
What cod liver oil is good for babies
- Choosing natural cod liver oil is safer and more reliable than eating synthetic vitamin AD.
- Choose raw cod liver oil from Norway or New Zealand, these two places are least pollution and the most stable quality.
- The ratio of vitamin A and vitamin D between 4: 1 and 3: 1, the best ratio is 3: 1
- The content of vitamin A is between 1200iu and 1500iu.
- Vitamins A and D are fat-soluble vitamins, so soft capsules (or drops) and emulsions are the best way to preserve them.
- Choose cod liver oil in transparent capsules in order to directly observe the color and permeability of cod liver oil.
- If a certain cod liver oil is particularly fishy, you can check whether it contains docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Those who do not like the fishy smell can choose cod liver oil soft capsules.