How to judge the lack of breast milk
- If they have just finished eating milk, and they have to eat it again after an hour or even half an hour, it may be that the milk is not enough.
- If the stool is very thin and has green foam, it may also mean that the milk is not enough.
- The mental state of the baby after the baby is finished with milk, he is very happy and wants to play for a while, which is also the performance of his fullness.
- The baby’s weight has increased. In one month, the weight is increased by at least 600 grams more than that at birth. This shows that the milk is enough.
Causes of insufficient breast milk
- You are not breastfeeding for a long time or prolonging the interval between breastfeeding.
- Newborns do not suck breasts as early as possible after birth, separation of mothers and babies, the use of feeding bottles to cause “nipple illusion”.
- Incorrect baby sucking posture can cause the baby to not suck milk, and thus cannot stimulate lactation reflex.
- The mother lacks confidence and enthusiasm, this reduces the breast milk production.
- Mother’s malnutrition and poor rest are not conducive to lactation reflex, and the quality of milk will also be affected.
- Breast dysplasia, breast surgery, nipple depression, pregnancy again, maternal hypothyroidism can reduce milk secretion.
- A disease or taking drugs that affect milk secretion, residual placenta, etc. can cause a lack of milk.
What to do if breast milk is insufficient
- Breastfeed often. For the first few weeks, breast-feed eight to 12 times a day — about every two to three hours.
- Do not add milk powder casually because once the child drinks the milk powder, the sucking power will become weaker.
- Make sure your baby is latched on and positioned well. Look for signs that your baby is swallowing.
- Strengthen nutrition and balanced diet especially calcium and iron rich foods, vegetables and fruits.
- Mom keeps the mood happy because anxiety and depressed mood can affect milk production.
- Ensure adequate rest and sleep, do not over-fatigue and avoid alcohol and nicotine.
- Avoid certain medications that decrease milk supply, including medications containing antithyroid and pseudoephedrine.
- It is recommended that nursing moms should wait until the lactation period is over to lose their weight because breastfeeding has consumed a lot of calories.
How to mix breastfeeding if breast milk is insufficient
When breast milk is insufficient, it should be supplemented with milk replacers and formula milk is the best formula for milk replacers. There are generally two ways to increase milk replacers:
- It completely replaces the breastfeeding of the baby, reduces the stimulation of breast sucking, and is more unfavorable for the production of milk.
- After each feeding of breast milk, replace the milk with the amount that the baby does not want to eat. It is best to breastfeed no less than 3 times a day.