Enhance Your Pregnancy Experience With Pregnancy Yoga
Yoga is a type of mind-body exercise as it helps to alleviate emotional stress and improve your overall wellness. According to national guidelines, pregnant mothers are advised to perform 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise in a week and yoga qualifies for this.
What are the benefits of doing yoga in pregnancy?
- It teaches you how to breathe deeply and to then relax which prepares you for labor and delivery.
- Reduces the tension around the cervix by opening up your pelvic region.
- Reduces the problems of morning sickness, leg cramps, constipation, leg edema or stomach discomfort.
- Relieves stress in the mother and improves emotional wellbeing which will improve the mother’s sleep quality.
- Assists in weight loss after child birth.
- Improves blood circulation, flexibility as well as muscle tone.
When can you start doing yoga?
If you are familiar with yoga then you can continue doing exercise throughout the pregnancy but don’t forget to consult your doctor regarding yoga in your pregnancy. Exercise is contraindicated in certain conditions in pregnancy such as cervical incompetence, low lying placenta or high blood pressure.
If you have never experienced yoga before, pregnancy is the best time to start. However, it is advisable to join the beginner class from the second trimester onwards as the first trimester of pregnancy is the most common period of miscarriage. Arrange your yoga class with a yoga teacher and inform him or her regarding your pregnancy before joining it.