Baby Runny Nose: Causes, Treatment & Prevention
The causes of runny nose in a baby
- Acute rhinitis is caused by a cold, the nasal mucosa is congested and swollen, and the secretion of the glands increases.
- Allergic rhinitis accompanied by nasal congestion, itchy nose and sneezing early in the morning. Bronchial asthma is associated with allergic rhinitis.
- If the baby’s nasal cavity has a foul smell, a runny nose, and sometimes blood in the nose, consider whether there are foreign objects in the nose.
- Acute and chronic rhinitis. When the baby has sinusitis due to acute and chronic rhinitis, there will often be continuous nasal discharge and accompanied by headache.
- Nasal polyps, the babies only have snot on one side, but they can’t blow it out, nostrils are not ventilated, and they snore when sleeping.
How to relieve baby’s runny nose
- Use a hot and humid towel to apply hot compress on the baby’s nose to shrink the nasal mucosa and the viscous snot is easier to hydrate and flow out.
- The steaming device faces the baby’s face helps to expel a lot of snot quickly and naturally. But do not put it too close to the baby and should not be too long, about 3 minutes.
- Nasal aspirator can be used when there are a lot of secretions. It is recommended that parents first check whether there is booger in the baby’s nasal cavity, and keep the movements gentle, to avoid pain or injury, and clean it after use.
- Take the essential oil and drop it on a hot towel or small handkerchief and apply it on the baby’s nose; or spray with essential oil and spray it in the air.
- Put a few small pillows under the mattress on the baby’s head and let the nose run out naturally.
How to treat a baby’s runny nose
The diet should be light and easy to digest, drink and rest adequately with good indoor ventilation.
Acute and chronic sinusitis
Antibiotics or local medicine such as nasal vasoconstrictor are needed to control the infection and prevent it from becoming chronic. But vasoconstrictor nasal drops should not be used for a long time to avoid drug-induced rhinitis.
Treatment of allergic rhinitis include desensitization therapy, drug therapy, microwave, laser local treatment and surgical therapy. Physical exercise , healthy diet, avoid irritating foods and seafood may help alleviate the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
How to prevent your baby from having a runny nose
- In the cold epidemic period, try to avoid taking your baby out, especially in public places.
- Maintain indoor ventilation by keeping the room ventilated to make the children healthier and less susceptible to infections.
- Drinking plenty of water can strengthen the body’s metabolism as well to replenish body fluids.
- The family should wash their hands often to reduce the chance of getting infections.
- Get an influenza vaccine for better immunity.